Off to Nay Pyi Taw


Photo of new residential complexes at Nay Pyi Taw (Courtesy of ISN Security Watch)

I am going to fly to Myanmar's reclusive capital Nay Pyi Taw tomorrow afternoon, as part of an official cultural delegation attending an ASEAN level meeting. Its going to be interesting to survive 4 days without any mobile connection, internet, WiFi, and credit card access (all payments must be in crisp, unfolded and new US Dollars). From my experience in Myanmar though, I am sure that the people will be very friendly and hospitable there.

Hopefully I can take some photographs. I heard that everything is larger than life in Nay Pyi Taw, and that the city was carved out of a malarial-ridden jungle. Huge six-lane highways, sprawling government buildings and picturesque water fountains fill the landscape.

Certainly looking forward to it.

Labels: , , ,