Lovin' Those Trails



At the recent IPRS Conference (PR 2.0) where I was invited to share as a panellist, I was inspired by Christopher Grave's presentation which covered amongst other things the concept of "love trails". These are paths off the beaten track created by folks to provide short-cuts from point A to point B.

As a runner and a frequent "trail blazer", I found that this point resonated with me. It is somewhat similar to the idea of serendipity, where people choose to do what they do simply because they feel like it. Or the concept of tags in folksonomy.

What this means is that you shouldn't box people into target segments by demographics, psychographics, GenX-GenY, and what have you. What this also means is that you let people choose how they prefer to interact with you and your organisation. If you are interesting enough, they will come to you, and find a way to get there.

As Frank Sinatra would have sung, "I did it MY WAY!"

Labels: , ,