Procrastination

I realise that procrastination is something which eats at everyone of us. Invariably, there will always be something or other which keeps us busy. One thing will lead to another, and excuses will be beefed up with further excuses, reasons and justifications. In my case, my work, cute and lovable 21 month old son, household chores (which are divided between myself and my wife), dining out and surfing of the internet are all major swallowers of my time over and on top of the usual mundane chores (sleeping, brushing teeth, bathing .....you get the drift?)

As a corporate communications and promotions director, I do more vetting and editing than writing. I also have to manage staff, budgets and projects, and act as a coach, mentor and facilitator. The end result is that I do less and less creating, and this makes me more rusty in the skills of the written and spoken word than I would have liked. However, I do like my job, and am not willing to give it up just yet. Hence, this blog, which allows me to practise writing about practically anything under the sun, usually insignificant and frivolous, and my thoughts on things that are happening around me. All this will (hopefully) help me to reach that eventual state of nirvana of becoming a freelance writer. Will keep my fingers crossed.....

There are a thousand and one things which can gobble up one's time. If you do not try to control and manage them, they will end up dictating how you spend your life. You then become a pawn, a piece of driftwood, or a tumbleweed being swept away and moved by external forces. Your sphere of influence over your fate then diminishes until you wake up screaming in horror one day at your deathbed, realising that your dreams have not been realised all this while.

Today, I decided to tame the beast of procrastination and populate my blog with more concrete thoughts. I have also completed some work to help Tina's friend in copywriting - a project which has been delayed for far too long.

I need to pull up my socks, roll up my sleeves, put pen to paper (or finger to keyboard) and start writing again. In the words of Daytona, "Gentlemen, start your engines...."